LynnAAR

Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Review - The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling

I felt so conflicted reading this book. On the one hand, I really didn't like most of the characters and yet, J.K. Rowling writes so well that I couldn't help falling into their world. Not much actually happens in this book, but she provides a wonderful character study of the entire town of Pagford. Basically a parish councillor by the name of Barry Fairbrother dies suddenly and in the wake of his death, all of the various factions in the town splinter apart and the reader gets a view into the good, the bad, and the ugly of everyone's lives. Rowling draws her characters very well and even if the plot action didn't catch me much, the characters made vivid impressions on me. In the end, the story itself is quite sad and some of the characters - particularly Krystal and Robbie - will break your heart. However, if you're looking for some good insights into character and what makes people tick, you won't soon forget the cast of this novel. Oh and one last warning - be prepared to come away from this book with a major Rhianna earworm!