LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
The Gypsy Heiress (Candlelight Regency #644) - Laura London 2.5 stars I knew the Curtises (aka Laura London) were legendary so even though I don't normally go for gypsy characters, I gave this one a whirl. Here's the basic setup: heroine is trying to free a fox from a trap so a passing gamekeeper naturally takes the gypsy girl for a poacher and arrests her. When the Earl of Brockhaven sees her, he recognizes her medallion and eventually sorts out that Liza is really half-English; half-aristocrat to be more precise. And naturally he must be her guardian.The romance between Liza and Brockhaven didn't really do much for me. The hero never really came to life and Liza spends way too much time sounding like a textbook on gypsy lore and culture. I did like the backstory, with all the evil machinations of the jealous neighbors. Brockhaven's hostess/chaperone and her endearingly awkward daughter also have some fun scenes. The end result? I liked parts of the story in this book, but the romance didn't do much for me.