LynnAAR

Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

TBR Challenge - Heidelberg Wedding

Heidelberg Wedding (Harlequin Romance, 2680) - Betty Neels

This was my TBR Challenge read for July 2013, and here is what I had to say about it:

I’m away at RWA Nationals this week, but before I got there, I did get my TBR Challenge book read for the month. This month we’re reading a romance classic, whether that be a classic book, author, trope, what have you. Betty Neels’ 1984 Heidelberg Wedding was my pick because Neels is certainly one of the classics. Her books from Harlequin stand out not only because she took certain plot points and made them her own, but also because she has an idiosyncratic voice. I find her writing hit or miss, but this particular story was a very fun read and I’d probably give it a solid B.

Anyone familiar with Neels will guess that this book is a medical romance with some kind of tie-in to the Netherlands – and you’d be half right. Eugenia Smith serves as Ward Sister in a London Hospital, which Gerard Grenfell is shown very obviously as a top surgeon there (that’s right – no Dutch hero this time!). Even though our hero is not a Dutchman for once, he is still described as having “lint-fair hair,” a description I’ve encountered in several Neels novels even if I’ve never seen it anywhere else. And it works. I wouldn’t normally think of looking like lint as a positive, but Neels makes it seem like a good thing.

We learn early on that Eugenia is tall, with a very curvy figure. In fact, she’s described in various places as “generously built” or “a hefty girl.” And where we have a sturdy heroine, there’s bound to be a willowy stick of a woman contending for the hero’s affections. True to form, Neels has Gerard engaged to an elegant willowy blonde at the beginning of the story. Not to be left out, Eugenia is engaged as well. The object of her affections, Humphrey Parsons, is a registrar at the hospital and I have to say it’s been years since I’ve come across a bigger stick-in-the-mud in fiction.

This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance.