LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold - Bettie Sharpe I originally read this for the 2011 TBR Challenge, and it ended up being a real treasure. It's a delightful retelling of the Puss in Boots tale, with plenty of twists thrown in by the author. Here's the review I wrote for AAR:For this month’s TBR Challenge read, I decided to hit the virtual TBR pile. It’s not as large as the dead tree one, but it still exists. I’m glad I decided to pick something from the Kindle because Bettie Sharpe’s novella Cat's Tale ended up being wonderful. This inspired retelling of Puss in Boots is definitely a Desert Island Keeper read for me. The story, told in first person, takes us inside the head of the beautiful and very spoiled Catriona. In the beginning, the scheming, devious Catriona uses her looks as well as a few tricks to catch the eye of the widowed king. This marriage takes her from rural obscurity to a very pampered existence at the palace – until the king dies. At that point, Catriona tries to protect her position by getting mixed up in palace intrigue and after crossing the wizard Galfridus, she finds herself turned into a cat and tossed into a millpond to drown.Fortunately, Cat survives her swim but remains trapped in cat form. She recruits the miller’s youngest son to help her in her quest for revenge and to regain her rightful place. To those who have read the original Puss in Boots, it would not surprise anyone to learn that the grand plan involves the promise of wealth, a title, and the hand of a princess. Cat, of course, does not tell him about her own agenda, but the miller’s son Julian is in a rather deperate position himself and he goes along with her plan. Given that Cat believes, “every grand plan begins with the right pair of shoes,” she manages to convince Julian to outfit her with a little cat-sized pair of boots. And so it is that a boot-wearing cat and a miller’s third son set off on a grand adventure. This is a partial review, and you can find the full text at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=8541