LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Knockout - Erica Orloff I'd really give this one 3.5 stars. I can't say I always liked the heroine of this book, but she definitely kept my interest and I respected some of the choices she had to make about how to live her life. A boxing trainer/promoter in Vegas is not the usual heroine,and Jack Rooney came across in this book as being tough enough to be the real deal. The book centers on Jack's trying to protect a murder victim's young daughter. The victim was Jack's friend and the child is in danger from the mob. The suspense thriller side of the plot in this book really worked for me, though the romantic elements lacked a certain emotional depth, even accounting for the fact that the romance was obviously not the main thrust of the book.FWIW, in case anyone's curious about my bias:I know that the Bombshell line generated all kinds of controversy among reviewers when it launched and more than a few people expressed dismay that romance wasn't front and center in the Bombshell books. Even though I'm a romance reviewer, I wasn't one of those dismayed. I loved the idea of a line centered on strong female leads and their adventures, I thought some of the books that came out of Bombshell were fantastic, and I'm only sad that we didn't get more books from this line before it folded. I love reading romance, but I also love to read across all kinds of other genres and subjects as well.