LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Countess of Scandal (The Daughters of Erin) - Laurel McKee I gave this book a DIK review at All About Romance, and here is what I had to say about it: Sometimes when I'm reading a book, there's not one major thing that makes the book stand out, but rather lots of little details that come together to create an amazing world. That's exactly what happens in Countess of Scandal. This book has a rarely used and well-drawn setting, good characters, and so much more working in its favor. I absolutely loved reading this one! As the story opens, childhood friends Eliza Blacknall and William Denton are about to be parted. Both from Protestant, Anglo-Irish families in Ireland, the two are about to go down very different paths. Eliza's parents have arranged a match for her, and she will remain in Ireland. Though Protestant and from an aristocratic family, Eliza loves Ireland and its people and culture, and believes the country to have been treated unfairly. William, as a younger son, will join the army and, in doing so, joins an institution that Eliza sees as an oppressor of the land she loves. The book then jumps forward seven years to the main plot, which takes place in Ireland slightly before and during the 1798 rebellion. Eliza, now Countess Mount Clare, is a widow and active with the United Irishmen in seeking freedom for Ireland. Though her family's position protects her for now, her activities draw enough suspicion to cause whispers about her in Dublin society. Will, now Major Denton, has spent years posted to the West Indies, but has been called back to Ireland to take part in quelling the unrest in Ireland.The two cross paths at a party where Eliza is chaperoning her younger sister and they spar almost immediately. Though they argue, one can tell that the old friendship and attraction between them remains, and it is clear that Will's initial pursuit of Eliza is driven by his desire to protect her. Serving in the army, Will knows what has been happening in Ireland and he sees the danger in which Eliza's activities place her. However, even as Eliza and Will disagree over the uprising, their attraction for one another causes them to begin a passionate affair. Their old fondness begins to deepen into something else altogether, and if you love stories of star-crossed lovers, you should enjoy this one.When I first saw Eliza engaged in clandestine pamphlet writing and undercover work with the Irish, I'll admit it raised a red flag for me and my first thought was, "Oh no! I like Eliza. Please don't make her feisty!" And thankfully, she's not.This is a partial review. You can find the full text at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=7725