LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
The Nurse He Shouldn't Notice - Susan Carlisle I'd actually give this 3.5 stars. I read medical romances from time to time, and the unusual setting of this one caught my eye. The heroine, Maggie, works as a nurse in a remote hospital in Ghana. As the book opens, we learn that her hospital desperately needs funds, but has been turned down for a grant by the Armstrong Foundation. When Dr. Court Armstrong shows up to work at the hospital, she is somewhat less than welcoming. Maggie assumes Court will be a spoiled rich boy, but his willingness to help and his obvious gifts as a doctor win her respect. Maggie finds Court attractive,but she has no interest in relationships. Court likewise has no interest in relationships, but prickly Maggie just gets to him. It's a dynamic not uncommon in books I've read, but I did think it was well done here. Seeing Maggie get rid of the anti-men chip on her shoulder and learning what secrets Court is running from make both of these characters seem very human. Likewise, the scenes which show their daily struggle to make even basic care accessible to very remote villages made interesting reading.Since I know children in books are a sore spot for some readers, I will mention that there is a young boy who features prominently in this book. Maggie cares for Neetie, a young Ghanaian orphan, and while I don't normally seek out romances with children, I did think that the author did a good job with this plotline. Neetie's presence in Maggie's life certainly seemed believable, he was a likeable character, and he played an important role in the story.There were a few things in this book that grated on my nerves, though. First of all, while the author seems to have done her homework with regard to medical issues, her legal research could have used some attention. Since the book takes place partly in Ghana and partly in the United States, the seeming nonexistence of Customs, passports, visas and so on stood out. And then there was the funding issue. Readers will understand from the beginning that Maggie's hospital desperately needs money, but her constant digs at Court's wealth and harping on the Armstrong Foundation got tiresome. The pacing also seemed a little off in places, but I still enjoyed this book at least enough to consider it a B- read.