LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
The Wild Princess: A Novel of Queen Victoria's Defiant Daughter - Mary Hart Perry I gave this a C+ at AAR, so we'll call it 3.5 stars here. This debut novel about Queen Victoria's rebellious daughter Louise had the potential to be a riveting read. After all, The Wild Princess features a heroine recognized as a strong, unconventional lady in her own day, the tantalizing hint of a story to explain some of the more mysterious aspects of this princess's life, and a background of political unrest. At times, the story gelled and I found myself fascinated by Louise's world. However, too much of the story got told rather than shown, and that had me putting this book down to take breaks more often than I should have.As some history buffs may already know, Princess Louise was one of Queen Victoria's younger daughters. Less conventional than her mother and many of her siblings, she insisted upon getting an art education and mixing with commoners far more than the royal family normally did in her day. Though much of her life is a matter of historical record, parts of her private life remain the subject of speculation and Perry delves into this area to create a romantic work of historical fiction. The book opens with Louise's marriage to the Marquess of Lorne. Unlike her siblings, Louise will not marry royalty. It appears that Victoria arranged this marriage in part because whisperings over Louise's scandalous behavior as a teenager may have put off royal suitors. However, various surprises revealed soon after the wedding make one wonder if Victoria had other motives in mind.This is a partial review. The full review is at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9166