LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Scared: A Novel on the Edge of the World - Tom Davis I found this book difficult to grade in some ways. As I read, I would note in my head that this or that piece of dialogue seemed awkward or that the character of Stuart Daniels, the photographer, seemed thinly drawn,and some of the mystical aspects of the story didn't quite work for me. However, the depictions of Swaziland and the plight of Adanna and the other people Stuart encounters there pack a heavy emotional punch. Though simply written, this book is not an easy read by any means. The ravages of AIDS, starvation, injustice and child abuse/exploitation mark the lives of many people Stuart encounters and this can make for reading that is sometimes extremely disturbing. Even though the writing has its flaws, I still found myself moved by this book and it did make me think.