LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Runaway Miss - Mary Nichols This book isn't awful, but it is pretty humdrum and ordinary. The plot is very predictable, but it was a pleasant sort of predictable, which meant that I didn't mind blowing an afternoon reading it. If you like masquerade stories or you're just dying to read another Regency trad, this one isn't terribly innovative, but it's cute at times.The heroine, Emma Lindsay, is heiress to a fortune. Her stepfather has tons of gambling debts and cannot touch her money. However, he can marry her off to an older lord with a nasty reputation in order to save himself from his debts, and that's exactly what he decides to do. Emma's mother arranges for her to flee to the home of an old friend. Traveling under the name Fanny Draper, Emma ends up traveling in the same public coach as the hero (of course) and when she arrives at her destination, it turns out that her mother's friend is also a relative of the hero (shocking, I know.)Even though she's hidden away in the country, Emma/Fanny can't let down her guard (naturally - you never know who might be lurking in the shrubbery) and so she just cannot bear to let the hero know who she really is(bet you didn't guess that one either.) The hidden identity charade goes on way too long and the characters aren't the most well-defined, so I can't say that this was a book I'd recommend. It's just middle of the road - not so good, not so bad.