LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Legacy Of Raven's Rise - Helen B. Hicks This was one of the books I read while riding out Hurricane Sandy, and there was more than enough craziness here to distract me from the storm. Most gothics I've read are either deliciously chilling or completely, improbably insane. This one is definitely out there.In some ways, the book is a very weird read because there is almost no character development. The heroine is an innocent young woman of mysterious background lured to a forbidding northern California town, the possible heroes are a somewhat shady guy who seems to be a gambler and another guy who edits the local paper,and it appears that's all we really need to know about them. The town is described as one that is dying off and not much seems to go on there, but no one questions the need for a local paper. The author packs way too much by way of action and convoluted conspiracies into this story, and the romance is almost a complete afterthought. It's an utter trainwreck, but I had to give it two stars because I just couldn't look away and had to follow it to the end.