LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn This was a B+ read, so really 4.5 stars. This was my TBR Challenge read for November 2012.I have to admit it. This month’s TBR Challenge theme was a tough one. I looked at my TBR and realized that I didn’t have any truly buzzed-over books sitting there. Of all the possibilities that I could think of and that actually interested me, they’d either been reviewed or I had simply read from curiosity some time ago already.I was getting ready to simply read a book I’d seen recommended by bloggers whose tastes are similar to mine, when a copy of Gone Girl dropped into my lap. This 2012 book by Gillian Flynn is pretty much the epitome of a much buzzed-about read. I’d have to live under a rock not to know about it. It’s been mentioned all over romance sites, mystery sites, and all kinds of mainstream literary sites. Usually the literary fiction “Best Books of the Year” lists don’t hold a lot of allure for me, but this book is definitely different from just about anything out there. If I read it for review, it would be a B+.The book opens with Nick Dunne getting called home. There he discovers his house standing open, with signs of a struggle in the living, and his wife Amy is gone. And it’s really hard to tell you much more than that without spoiling the story. Part of the genius of this book lies in its structure. Chapters are told alternately from Nick and Amy’s point of view, some set in the present and others filled with memories from the past via Amy’s diary. And as the chapters unfold, the reader notices two big things: This story is filled with many layers of secrets and it’s hard to figure out at times just how reliable the narrators truly are.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=9097