LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, but the quietly profound quality of the story moved me and I just couldn't put it down. I consider Gilead inspirational in the very best sense because it never preaches, but yet it's the kind of book that makes the reader want to examine his or her own religion or belief system.The book is narrated by an elderly Midwestern preacher who has learned his heart is failing, and it takes the form of a journal or memoir the preacher drafts for his seven year old son. As he tells his son all of the things he wants the child to understand about life, the narrator roams in time and place through several generations, painting a picture of family and faith intertwined with what sounds like a life very well lived. There's a peace and simple beauty about the book that really resonated with me, and I thought the ending was beautiful.As you can probably tell, this isn't a story with lots of external plot action, but the beautiful language and internal journey make it worth reading. If you want examples, there's a wealth of good ones on the quotes page for this book on Goodreads, including this one that I like a lot and which I think sums up a lot of the story: "There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.”