LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Beneath the Major's Scars - Sarah Mallory There are some fairytale plots I love more than others, and Beauty and the Beast is one of those stories that tends to draw my attention. There's something about that plot that just showcases the transforming power of love for me, not to mention the fact that, in the hands of a good author, it can make one think about where beauty truly lies. Beneath the Major's Scars seemed like a promising Beauty and the Beast tale at first, but weak, meandering plotting and odd characterizations pretty much did it in. It has its good points, but overall ends up being pretty forgettable.As I mentioned, the book does start off well. In the prologue, we meet Zelah Pantewan (yes, that really is the heroine's name!) immediately after the birth of her stillborn child. The young Zelah is unmarried and naturally, her family is concerned about the ruin that this event will bring upon her. When the plot jumps forward in time by three years, we find Zelah living in the home of her married sister, where she helps care for her sister's stepson. Zelah does not want to burden her family, so she is trying to find employment as a governess. Though Zelah has resigned herself to a life of working in the homes of others, things start to change when she meets her sister's mysterious neighbor, Major Dominic Coale.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9279