LynnAAR

Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Review - Into the Darkest Corner

Into the Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes

It's not your standard suspense novel; the tone and structure are unusual compared to what I normally read and at times that works, but at times, the attention to minute detail ends up being a bit much.

Told in the first person, the narrative goes back and forth between current events and things that happened 4 years before. The heroine, Cathy Bailey, obviously suffers from OCD and PTSD and many of the present-day chapters show her as a prisoner of her fears and her routines of constantly checking windows,doors, etc... The chapters set in the past show how she came to be this way, and they offer a chilling portrait of a relationship spiraling into obsession and domestic violence.

On the one hand, I thought the author did a good job of really bringing the reader into Cathy's mind, and I also found the portrayal of the controlling relationship disturbingly vivid. The narrowing of Cathy's world and her rising desperation and powerlessness felt hauntingly real to me. However, the early chapters of the book dragged and I almost quit reading several times because the story does take a long while to really gel and start coming together. I got quite a bit more detail on OCD from those early chapters than I ever wanted, and the minutiae sometimes distracted from the story. However, I'm glad I stuck with the book because once I got past the early sections, it really did draw me in.