LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
One Good Earl Deserves a Lover - Sarah MacLean 3.5 stars(B-)Sarah MacLean's writing flows well stylistically, her characters tend to have great conversations, and despite the light tone suggested by her titles, go to some deep places emotionally. All of these elements were present in One Good Earl Deserves a Lover, but since the book is also saddled with a ridiculous premise and a few too many cutesy moments, it made the book tough to grade. In the end, once I got past the set-up in the opening chapters, I enjoyed the emotional journey that followed so I had to give it a conditional recommendation.In the prologue, we see a young man coming home from a night of debauchery to learn that he, the disappointing second son, is now the heir. This state of affairs makes neither the man nor his father happy. In a way, the prologue does an effective job of pulling the reader right into the story as one wonders what happened to the heir and why this second son is such a disappointment, what will he do with his unexpected title and so on.Unfortunately, the focus then shifts to our heroine, Philippa (Pippa) Marbury. Right off the bat we learn that Pippa has always appeared rather odd to much of society. She vastly prefers her scientific pursuits to shopping, parties or anything else young women of her day were expected to do. Despite her eccentricities, Pippa has managed to attract the attention of an earl and the arrangement seems perfect: He is a nice if somewhat simple man, and they will live at his country home where she can be eccentric to her heart's content. Of course, Pippa has no idea what to expect on her wedding night. Given that Pippa has three married sisters, one would think she could just have a discreet conversation with one of them, but apparently not. She instead wanders into the gaming hell of which her brother-in-law is part-owner and meets up with Cross, whom she has heard is an expert on ruination.This is a partial review. The complete text can be found at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9380