LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Destiny's Embrace - Beverly Jenkins I've long had a soft spot for Beverly Jenkins' historicals. She tends to put a lot more history into the romance than many authors, and one could never accuse her of writing wallpaper. With Destiny's Embrace, she starts a new series in 19th century California with a romance between two very strong-minded people who have to learn how to get along with each other before they can fall in love. Before Mariah Cooper can even get to California, she needs to learn how to stand up to her abusive mother. Mariah's mother owns a dress shop in Philadelphia, and spends her time stealing Mariah's ideas, belittling her, and sometimes getting physically abusive. Mariah has known no life other than that under her mother's rule, but finally things go too far even for Mariah to stand, and she flees to the home of her mother's estranged sister. The aunt thankfully welcomes Mariah with open arms and helps her build a little backbone. She also finds a job for Mariah as housekeeper on a ranch in California.Fearful she might not be hired otherwise, Mariah represents herself as a respectable widow and gets the job. She takes the long trip out to northern California and upon arriving at the ranch, learns that her employer, Logan Yates, is none too happy to have a woman with ideas of her own telling him how his house needs to be put in order. And yet he finds himself doing all the things that Mariah told him were needed.Mariah and Logan both have strong wills. Mariah sometimes wavers, but given her background, that's easily understandable. After reading about her treatment in Philadelphia, I was concerned we would see even more doormat-like behavior from her, so I found the story of her coming into her own out in California every bit as refreshing as the romance.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9440