LynnAAR

Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Review - In the Stillness

In the Stillness - Andrea Randall

I'd heard from several sources that In the Stillness is one of those books that I just absolutely had to read. After having it pushed on me several times over, I finally took the plunge. I rarely read a book in one sitting, but I just had to stay glued to the reader for this one.

This novel is one of the more unflinchingly honest, gritty books I've ever read. There's a lot of darkness in this story, but all that darkness shows moments of light in such stark contrast that it takes one's breath away.When they met, Natalie and Ryker were both students and Ryker was in the National Guard. Then 9/11 happened, and Ryker got deployed to Afghanistan. Having him gone was hard enough, but Natalie and Ryker both have their worlds shattered when Ryker comes home from the war with PTSD after getting shot. Through Natalie's eyes, we see Ryker's fear and horror as he has to learn to live in a world where he can't entirely cope. Ryker's PTSD and Natalie's cutting to cope with her own pain build into a volatile combination, and we see it all come crashing down.

Fast forward into the present. Natalie is now a wife and mother, and she hasn't seen Ryker for ten years. We jump right into the mess of Natalie's current life from the opening moment of the book when we see her cutting herself again. From there, readers follow Natalie on an emotional rollercoaster as we watch her life spiral out of control both in the present and in her past, as the book jumps back and forth between Natalie's present life, and her memories of college and that unforgettable relationship she had with Ryker Manning.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance.