LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Untamed - Anna  Cowan I gave this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars// Untamed is one of those rare books that I suspect most readers, after having read it, will not forget anytime soon. After all, how often does one encounter a cross-dressing duke as a hero? This book has burned itself pretty far into my memory, but I still found it wickedly hard to grade. On the one hand, the author tells a very unusual story and she plays with gender and other ideas in ways that one doesn't often encounter in any kind of fiction. Then again, the book is not without its flaws, some of which rate as more than minor quibbles.At the beginning of the book, Kit is staying with her sister Lydia, a beautiful woman who has married well. Even though Kit is older than the average Society miss, the plan is for her to have a London Season. However, the combination of her age, her awkwardness in company and her sister's cattiness aren't doing much to enhance Kit's prospects. Her background is most politely described as "shabby genteel," so suitors can't expect much by way of dowry either, one suspects.It all begins to change one night when Kit encounters a mysterious stranger. They have an electrifying conversation and then Kit, after witnessing a somewhat icky seduction scene between said stranger and their hostess, suddenly realizes that she has been speaking to the infamous Duke of Darlington, a man with a notorious reputation. Since he is rumored to be involved with her married sister, Kit confronts him and after a series of events, the two end up traveling together to Kit's home in the country. Adding to the oddness, Darlington elects to travel as a woman and holds himself out to Kit's family as Lady Rose. The eccentric Lady Rose brings a new liveliness to the household, and so we caper along, wondering how Kit and Darlington will end up together - not to mention when someone will finally notice that Lady Rose isn't exactly a lady.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9545