LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
The Apprentice - Tess Gerritsen 3.5 stars This is part of the Rizzoli and Isles series, but be warned: If you're expecting the books to be like the TV show, you're in for one heck of a surprise. The characters don't bear too much resemblance to their TV counterparts and there's definitely less humor woven into the story. I knew this going in so it wasn't so much of a jolt for me but I could see some being a bit surprised.This book follows after the action in The Surgeon, and we find Jane Rizzoli on the track of a new serial killer. This one breaks into affluent couples' homes, pulls them out of bed, kills the husband and then kidnaps the wife. It's pretty chilling stuff, and Jane's investigation is complicated by her own healing from a previous encounter with a killer as well as some unwanted "cooperation" from a secretive FBI agent.There are some plot elements in here that made me roll my eyes. For instance, we of course have a serial killer who is obsessed with the heroine and then there's the part where it morphs into a book about TWO serial killers. Even so, I found myself getting drawn into the action and wanting to follow the story. I've read Gerritsen before and her writing has a certain addictive quality about it. Serial killer thrillers are a dime a dozen, but this author tells her story clearly and where some focus more on the killer's violent acts, Gerritsen explores his psyche as well as the effect of these monstrous people on those who come in contact with them.