LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Marci's Desire - Sara Luck I gave this a C+ at AAR, so 3.5 stars here. Adventure in the National Parks! Romance! Exploration of changing roles for women! Lots of nature photography! Marci's Desire certainly sounded like a historical with a lot going for it and I went into the book thinking it would be a lot of fun to read. Sadly, for a book with so much going on , it ended up being a surprisingly slow read.Marcia (Marci) Winters is a likable, if slightly vapid, young college student at Wells College in the 1890s. Her father works in the Treasury Department in DC and as the daughter of an influential man, she's enjoyed a decidedly sheltered life. Her primary plans seem to involve enjoying her time at Wells and then marrying Stanton Caldwell, an ambitious political operative. At the beginning of the story, Marci has been chosen as part of a group of students to go to West Point for a mixer with the cadets.The cadet to whom Marci is assigned, Myles Cade McDowell, makes an immediate impression on her. They share a wonderful time together and become fast friends with chemistry that hints at more, despite Marci making it clear that she has plans with another. Myles, who grew up in poverty following the death of his soldier father, recognizes the vast social divide between him and Marci, but he cannot help developing feelings for her.Their magical time together might have ended up just being a great big mutual crush if not for what happens next. Marci ends up having to leave Wells in disgrace as, true to the time period, the college is scandalized to learn that she spent time at her escort's barracks without a chaperone. That Marci never actually entered the building makes no difference - back to DC she goes. This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9635