LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Dover Thrift Edition) - Harriet Beecher Stowe I read this for a summer book club, and yes, it took me every bit of time alloted to finish. Even though I've read a lot of 19th century fiction, Stowe's style took a lot of getting used to for me. It took me absolutely forever to get into this book, at least in part because the author's style is incredibly wordy and heavily moralistic even by Victorian novel standards. I spent much of my reading time feeling as if I needed to try to find a story buried in all that narrative.Yet, for all the telling and all the melodrama, I could still tell within the first 50 pages why this book had such a hold on readers. Stowe draws readers into the brutal world of slavery and not only horrifies us with the picture of what a world in which human beings can be treated as property looks like, but she makes us care for her characters. We ache for Eliza when she learns she is to be separated from her child and one cannot help but cringe when reading about beatings and some of the other indignities visited upon the enslaved. Getting through this book could be a bit of a slog at times, but I'm glad I read it.Note: For modern readers, some of the language and ideas on race may have been advanced for the 19th century but can be pretty jarring for readers today. Just an FYI!