LynnAAR

Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

TBR Challenge - Daughter of Texas

Daughter of Texas - Terri Reed

This was my October 2013 TBR Challenge read, and here's what I had to say about it on the blog:

For this month's TBR Challenge, we're reading Westerns – contemporary or historical. Most of the Westerns in my TBR are historical, but I was in the mood for a little mystery, so I decided the Texas Ranger tie-in of Terri Reed’s 2011 Daughter of Texas would work. This novel is 1st in the multi-author Texas Ranger Justice series from Love Inspired Suspense. LIS seems to do one of these series each year, and I’ll admit that they often suck me in. Each book has its own self-contained romance and mystery, but there is also an overarching suspense plot that winds through all 6 books of the series and doesn’t get solved until the end. When it’s done well, it can be addictive. In this case, I’d say Daughter of Texas starts things off fairly well. I have a few quibbles with the romance and the heroine sometimes drove me a little nuts, but this was still a pleasant enough read, and I’d give it a C+.

Readers get thrown into the action right away as the book opens. A much-loved and respected Texas Ranger Captain has been murdered in his home and his daughter, Corinna Pike, got injured as she walked in on the killer. A few moments later, the Rangers converge on the home. Apparently, one of the last clues left behind by Captain Pike before his death was a text sent to those in his command, ordering them to come meet at the home because a major case was about to explode. Based on that, it would seem that the Rangers have a good lead – except that no one knows what case Captain Pike was talking about.

This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance.