LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant
By Love Unveiled - Sabrina Jeffries, Deborah Martin Normally I'm a fan of re-releases. So many romantic novels have entirely too short a shelf life, and I've been able to read some wonderful books I missed the first time around. However, there are some books that probably deserve to stay in the past, and By Love Unveiled is certainly one of them. In the opening notes, Sabrina Jeffries mentions that she enjoyed having a chance to revise this early novel of hers. However, the changes don't seem to have gone far enough.The setup of this book is an interesting one. The ridiculously named hero, Garett Lockwood, Earl of Falkham, has recently returned from exile and reclaimed his home in England. The house had changed hands several times during the unpleasant years of the English Civil War and Interregnum, going from his parents to his Puritan uncle (the even more improbably named Pitney Tearle), eventually being sold to a doctor and then restored to Garett upon his miraculous return to England. Garett is bitter about his years spent in exile, and determined to have revenge on the Puritan uncle who mistreated him.Marianne Winchilsea has lost her father to an arrest for treason related to a plot to poison the King, and has also lost her beloved Falkham House to the newly returned earl. Also suspected in the plot against the king, Marianne's only way to keep safe is to live as a healer among the gypsies after allowing the rumor of her suicide to be spread far and wide. Why gypsies? Well, Marianne's mother was a beautiful gypsy, of course. And apparently 17th century baronets could get away with marrying beautiful gypsy women and still build successful medical careers that would bring them into elite circles. And yes, the eyerolling does in fact begin in Chapter 1 and continue through the end of the book.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9509