LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

The Witness

The Witness - Nora Roberts Nora Roberts can be a little hit or miss for me, but I definitely enjoyed this book. In a nutshell, the plot involves a genius heroine whose first attempt at rebelling against her overbearing mother results in her witnessing a Russian mob hit. Fast forward 12 years and said heroine now lives in seclusion in the Ozarks. The locals find her an oddity, but the police chief, Brooks Gleason, starts falling in love with her as he gets to know this mystery woman who lives in her fortress out in the woods.The heroine is obviously meant to be socially awkward, and her dialogue does seem frustratingly stilted at times. She sounds a bit like something out of The Big Bang Theory, only not so humorous. She did grow on me, though. For someone who has been on the run for years and who has learned not to trust, the heroine lets the hero and his family into her life awfully easily, but since I liked the story, I could let that pass to an extent. One last note: I loved the ending and felt like it really fit the story. I know a lot of folks will be disappointed not to see one great, good vs. evil showdown but I thought the way it got wrapped up really matched the characters, especially the heroine, as well as the overall tone of the story. The book is suspenseful but not super-gritty, and I thought the ending stayed true to that.