LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

One Was a Soldier: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mystery (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries)

One Was a Soldier - Julia Spencer-Fleming When I got assigned to read One Was a Soldier for review, I was absolutely beside myself. I loved the previous books in the series, but I hadn't been reading them critically for review. What if this one didn't measure up? What if I drove myself insane trying to analyze it? Well, I have news for everyone: It really does measure up - and what a fabulous read it is.First things first - this is book seven in a series. If you haven't read the first six, you are really missing out and should pick up In the Bleak Midwinter and just get started. Each book in the series contains its own self-contained mystery, but as readers move through the series, they learn more about the upstate New York town of Millers Kill and get to follow the slow development of a relationship between police chief Russ Van Alstyne and the local Episcopal priest, Clare Fergusson. Though technically a mystery series, the romance in these books is one of the most satisfying and multilayered I've ever read. The protagonists are both very flawed people who try their best to do the right thing, so their development as characters makes for fantastic reading.This is a partial review. The complete review is at All About Romance:http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=8396