LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

How to Tame Your Duke

How To Tame Your Duke - Juliana  Gray Meh. I gave this a C+ at AAR, so 3.5 stars here, I suppose.Juliana Grey's writing in How to Tame Your Duke flows beautifully and she does a lovely job of painting pictures with her words. However, while the writing works from a stylistic perspective, much of one's enjoyment of this book will hinge on one's ability to suspend disbelief. And as I read, I just couldn't do it.Princess Emilie and her sisters have fled political turmoil in Holstein-Schweinwald-Huhnhof, a German-speaking principality which appears to have escaped the 1871 unification of Germany. Under the protection of their uncle, the Duke of Olympia, each princess has been dispatched in disguise to a separate location. Scholarly Emilie, posing as Mr. Grimsby the tutor, travels to Yorkshire to prepare the Duke of Ashland's son for his Oxford entrance exams. The duke's wife has left him and the duke himself suffered terrible disfigurements in Afghanistan, so the household is a quiet, subdued one.Almost from the beginning things feel very uneven. On the one hand, Emilie and her somewhat immature, friendship-starved charge hit it off right away. However, no one seems to notice that the slender young woman with glued on whiskers is anything other than Mr. Grimsby. Though somewhat taciturn and not inclined to spend much time in Society, the Duke seems to be a decent man from the very beginning and it's not hard to see why Emilie would find him interesting. So, how does Mr. Grimsby/Emilie get her man?This is a partial review. You can find the complete text at All About Romance: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9579