LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Unforgiven

Unforgiven - Anne Calhoun I gave this a B- on AAR, so 3.5 stars here. When it comes to reviewing contemporaries, adult leads hung up on high school drama ranks pretty high on the complaint list. However, I've long said that a good author can make even the most problematic plot element work, and that's exactly what Anne Calhoun does with Unforgiven. This book centers on a hero and heroine weighed down by the baggage of their pasts and even if high school happened years ago for them, the long-reaching effects make sense here.Adam Collins wasted no time leaving Walker's Ford, South Dakota after graduation. After spending twelve years in the Marine Corps, he's back in town. He's come to serve as best man at his best friend's wedding (to his own ex-fiancee, no less) and to enroll in graduate school in a nearby city. Now that he's a civilian again, Adam has to face his past.And part of that past involves Marissa Brooks. Toward the end of high school, Adam and Marissa had what sounds like a pretty obsessive relationship. They spent tons of time together and did pretty much everything short of actually having sex. When Adam returns to town to celebrate the upcoming wedding, he and Marissa find themselves in a pantry closet having sex by the end of the night. It's one of the few "sex at first sight" scenes I've read that actually works. There is something raw, emotional and downright combustible about the way Calhoun writes this scene. As a reader, I knew Adam and Marissa were going to end up together but it's abundantly clear that they're not ready to head that way just yet.This is a partial review. You can find the complete text here: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9606