LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

The Chocolate Thief

The Chocolate Thief - Laura Florand This is one of those books that I wanted to love, but I just couldn't quite do it. It's set in Paris and the plot revolves around chocolate, so it sounded as though it could be enchanting. However, I just couldn't get into it all that well.The heroine, Cade Corey, is heiress to the Corey chocolate dynasty. Her family has made billions marketing cheap, low-grade chocolate bars but she is in Paris because she has a new idea. She would like to start a new, more upscale line with a chocolate artisan. Cade has set her sights on Sylvain Marquis, known as the top craftsman in the chocolate world. However, Cade finds herself frustrated when Sylvain insults her family's product and turns her down. Cade will not take no for an answer and she continues to pursue Sylvain - and so an offbeat love affair begins.The heroine behaves like a spoiled brat for most of the book, so that made it hard to feel enchanted by her and Sylvain's courtship. Again and again, Cade expresses frustration that she cannot simply buy the people and things she wants in life. Instead of rooting for her, I wanted to say, "Sorry, lady.You don't get to make Sylvain do your bidding just because you have more money than he does." I just couldn't see what Sylvain found attractive in her. In addition, Sylvain just didn't capture my imagination. He doesn't seem like a bad guy; he was just a touch bland. The book has its readable moments, but it didn't cast the same spell on me that it seems to have on others.