LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Aftershock

Aftershock (Hqn) - Jill Sorenson This would be a 4.5 star read for me. Obviously, I'm on a roll this week reading-wise. The book centers on a small group of San Diego earthquake survivors trapped under a collapsed freeway. In addition to dealing with injuries and trying to stay alive with limited food/water supplies, they face danger from some of their fellow survivors. The leads, paramedic Lauren Boyer and Iraqi War vet Garrett Wright, not only take the lead in trying to make sure their small band survives long enough to be rescued, but they find themselves falling for each other, too. The plot action in this story moves along at an absolutely breathtaking pace, so I just flew through reading this book. It's the type of book that will keep you up all night reading because as you reach the end of a chapter, you just want to know what happens next. I liked that the characters all came from believably varied backgrounds. Many of the characters also have big secrets, and the author does a good job of not dumping all the information out there at once. The romance gets overshadowed by the action at times but considering the magnitude of the earthquake, I found that completely understandable. The buildup of the romance is both credible and kinda hot, and its placement in the book just fit. I would have liked to see more of the struggle Lauren and Garrett must have faced in their relationship after the rescue. Given their circumstances, I'm assuming that their relationship and lives together aren't going to be the easiest HEA ever. Even so, I still enjoyed them as a couple.Since the cast of characters in this book is small, we actually get to know the secondary characters a little better than in many books. I know the author has more books coming with some of these characters,and I'm definitely looking forward to them.