LynnAAR

The Blood Detective
Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

My Fair Concubine (Harlequin Historical)

My Fair Concubine - Jeannie Lin This is one of those books that makes me get frustrated at having to attend to things like work, sleep, eating, etc.. when really I just want to read. I loved the Tang Dynasty setting of this story, and the homage to My Fair Lady as Fei Long sets about transforming a tea shop girl into a princess fit for diplomatic marriage is clever.However, Lin's writing goes beyond clever. The plotline might make one think this book will be lighter in tone, but there's some real emotional meat to the story. The honor of Fei Long's entire household hangs upon the success of his venture with Yan Ling, and Yan Ling knows that her chance at living somewhere other than the streets hinges upon her getting things right and doing what is expected of her - even if her feelings send her in a different direction.The author writes the love story between these two in a rather subtle fashion, where even slight gestures take on deeper meanings. For that reason, it pays to be an observant reader. It took me a little while to get into the story but once I did, I just adored it.