LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Born to Darkness

Born To Darkness - Suzanne Brockmann 3.5 stars - I'd give it a B- This book is first in a new series set in a future United States. Corporations have actively taken over parts of government, and given current conditions in this country, some of the creepy parts of this story feel chillingly real. Cash-strapped police departments charging more to investigate a case more quickly, poor people selling the use of their bodies to drug testing companies so that they can have meals and a warm place to sleep, and so on.It is in this world that people born with enhanced neural integration abilities train to enhance their talents because this allows them to have certain powers the general population does not. Mac Mackenzie at the Obermeyer Institute(OI) is one of the most integrated people out there. She works hard, but avoids lasting relationships. However, what starts off as a casual hookup with disgraced former SEAL Shane Laughlin moves from exciting sex into something more as Shane enters OI as a Potential (i.e. he has above average neural integration but needs to train to develop his talents). So begins a tale that revolves around trying to find a missing girl and some evil dealers unleashing a deadly drug into the population. In some ways, it's a pretty wild ride because there are three romantic storylines running through the book and at various times, readers find themselves seeing events from at least seven different perspectives. At first, I found this exhilarating. The story is action-packed, the writing is quite good, and I liked the characters.However, things drag a bit in the middle. Mac has a huge chip on her shoulder and for most of the 500+ pages of this novel, I didn't see it getting any smaller. In addition, parts of the middle of the book contain vast amounts of information about neural integration as well as endless discussion over how integration levels might change, what might be making them change, what neural integration means and so on. It's not bad stuff, but it was a little more detail than I needed.Overall, though, I liked the characters in this book and even though the story could get grim and gruesome at times, it definitely kept me turning the pages.