LynnAAR

Dan Waddell
Vienna Waltz
Teresa Grant

Sealed With a Curse: A Weird Girl Novel

Sealed with a Curse - Cecy Robson I gave this a C+ at All About Romance, so I'm not sure what we'd call that here. 3.5 stars? 3.25? At any rate, here's what I have to say:Sometimes offbeat works. Unusual characters, out of the ordinary worldbuilding, all those touches that capture the imagination and make a story feel like it's not the same old thing. Sealed With a Curse has some of these elements, but they just don't fit together smoothly. The book has its promising points, but it feels too disjointed to make for an entirely thrilling read.Celia Wird and her three sisters always stick together - they even live together. As the book begins, they have been hauled into Vampire Court for killing a vampire, a crime punishable by death. Things look bad for Celia until an image of the dead vampire convinces the court that he was obviously in the throes of bloodlust and that the Wird sisters killed only in self-defense. Bloodlust in vampires is incurable, and this trial unleashes a nightmare as it becomes apparent that the incident in the Wird home was not an isolated one, and that the vampires have an epidemic on their hands. As vampires get infected with bloodlust, the only thing to do is to kill them before they attack innocent bystanders and drain them.As we learn in the beginning, the Wird sisters each have an unusual gift. While not considered a true shifter, Celia has the power to not only turn into a tigress but also to move through surfaces. Her sisters each have unusual gifts as well, from being able to change small objects such as toothpicks into the deadly weapons or the power of healing. These powers come as the result of a curse gone wrong when the girls were very small and while the sisters do not fit into any neat category of the paranormal world, they trust one another completely. In fact, the strong relationship between the sisters is one of the real positives about this book as it is convincingly drawn and manages to seem both warm and unusual (after all, how often do you go raid a vampire lair with your sisters?)This is a partial review. You can find the complete text here: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9332